Sweet Summer (in May) Sun

Sweet Summer (in May) Sun
Five silly faces

Saturday, January 21, 2012

GOP Primary Time In S.C.

So it looks like the win, though votes are still be tallied, goes to Newt Gingrich in today's S.C. primary.

While I can say that I did not vote for Gingrich, I won't say who I did cast a vote for, as a nod to my parents.

"What? Why?" You might be asking.

Well ... here's why.

When I was a girl growing up in my parents home, I would ask things like, "Who did you vote for, Daddy?" and my Daddy would say, "That's private."

As a (very, very nosy) little girl, I did not understand this response. But today, in the world of facebook, twitter and other methods of instant gratification - I do.

I enjoy talking politics - mostly. I enjoy offering my opinion. I enjoy fact-checking. (I prefer factcheck.org, if you're interested).  

But I don't enjoy the pure anger and hatred that politics bring out in (some) people when you disagree with them, or offer a differing point of view from theirs (mine).

So I won't be saying who I voted for, but I will say that I voted for him (No, I did not vote Michelle Bachman, despite her name - along with John Huntsman, Rick Perry and Hermain Cain - remaining on the ballot) knowing that he most likely would not win. But I voted knowing that on major issues, I agree with the person that I voted for and on some issues, I could live with his stand.

So, there. It's no BBQ post, but that's politics in South Carolina.

Let's hope it's not a reflection of the National party's stand.

(Ooops - sorry - that was a bit opinionated after all).

Ok ... I was going to stop there, but let me say this - just in case someone out there reads this and cares.

What we (I) need in a politician is this: 
Someone who is honest.

Someone who doesn't pretend to be perfect. You've screwed up? Big deal. So have I. As my 9th grade Geography teacher would have said: Fido. Forget it and drive on. Just tell me - honestly - that you're going to try to do better.

Don't tell me you're going to do something you're not. For example, if you're Mitt Romney, don't tell me that you're going to repeal ObamaCare - you're not. It's modeled on YOUR healthcare program in Massachusetts. Say you support public health care options and remind us that you've helped set up a program that (seems to, at least) work. Tell me you know how to tweak the healthcare bill to make it better for Americans who want healthcare and can't afford it at its current cost.

Is there someone out there who wants to run for office who DID NOT get his (or her) first job because of connections? Family, Fraternity/Sorority? I'm all for  networking, but c'mon - I know that there are qualified people out there who did not get their first jobs because Mom or Dad made a call, or because they were in a Frat with so-and-so's brother. Some people have become successful through hard work, through trial and error, by making mistakes and learning from them - where are you?? Three words: Run For Office. (Note: I also admit that some people have done well - in the public and/or private sector with the benefit of their "connections" - I'm just ready for a something different!)
I have several friends who have run for local office, several who have been elected. These (for the most part - haha) are great people who love their families and their community and want to make decisions that will help set the stage for their children to have opportunities and to see their communities thrive - there must be people like them out there who want to make a run for a national office - c'mon, don't be afraid!

 Ok. That's my soapbox. I'm getting down now.

Oh! Last thing: To those of you who have voted - either today or previous weeks - thank you.

Seriously, even if you voted for the wrong guy (or girl), you did your job.

No comments:

Post a Comment