Sweet Summer (in May) Sun

Sweet Summer (in May) Sun
Five silly faces

Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's What?

Just sitting here, the day before Valentine's Day, watching my recently-turned-four-year-old address and sign her own Disney Princess Valentine cards, that's all.
Wow.
A week ago, she could only write her name ... this week, she wrote her brother's name, her cousin's name, her grandparent's names and "Daddy" ... Um, I dunno about you, but where I come from, that's almost as awesome as say ... a Grammy.
And speaking of Grammy's ...


Did you watch? 
I did. 
I watched because I wanted to see the performances but also because I actually know two artists who were nominated. Um, yeah - I'm awesome like that.
Peter Cooper was nominated for Best Children's Album for his album I Love: Tom T. Hall's Songs of Fox Hollow. Peter didn't win, but that's o.k.  - he's got lots more music to make and I'm excited for him. I am also looking forward to taking my children to hear and see him perform live in our hometown this March.
Laura Story was nominated for Best Contemporary Christian Song for her song, Blessings. I met Laura for the first time when I was in high school and she was a student at the University of South Carolina and part of the band Siler's Bald. Although we grew up in the same town, we don't really know each other, but we've met at several functions and I was excited to see a hometown girl win.
“It was wonderful to see a fellow Spartan, Laura Story, win a Grammy,” Peter Cooper told the Spartanburg Herald-Journal's Dan after the afternoon ceremony. “My award came when (Grammy-winning Country Music Hall of Fame member) Emmylou Harris told me she voted for me.”
Highlights of televised portion of the Grammy's (at least for me) were:
  • Hearing Alicia Keys & Bonnie Raitt pay tribute to Etta James, singing her Sunday Kind of Love; 
  • the Glen Campbell Tribute (so, so amazing to see how gracefully he is handling an Alzheimer's diagnosis) - The Band Perry, Blake Shelton and the Rhinestone Cowboy himself took part and it was beautiful; 
  • Taylor Swift's performance of her awesome song, Mean (click on the link and scroll down to watch) ... Just have to say that I love this song and if you're wondering, the entire album is just as strong musically and lyrically; 
  • Foo Fighters winning Best Rock Album. 'Cause seriously, they were the only rock band nominated and they recorded the album in their garage!; 
  • A new band ... the Civil Wars. Oh. My.
  • And of course, Adele. I'm not really sure that there are words to describe her amazing voice and if it's that amazing from the television, I can't imagine seeing and hearing her live!
Alrighty then. That's all for now, y'all. Go listen to some amazing music and Happy St. Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment