Sweet Summer (in May) Sun

Sweet Summer (in May) Sun
Five silly faces

Friday, November 11, 2011

A Quiet House

A quiet house is something that I don't have often. 


I am a talker. My husband is a talked. My 8-year old is a talker. My 3-year old is a talker.


We also like to listen to music. Or the television. 


Tonight, I'm sitting at home. Alone. My husband is at work and my children are sleeping over at my parents house.My dogs are sleeping in their crates, warm and toasty. There's only one show I want to watch (ABC's new show, Grimm). 

And so my house is quiet. 

It's a little unusual, and normally I'd be at a loss for what to do with my quiet time. But this week I've had a special project - praying for my friends. 


Last week a friend of mine did a half-marathon -less than 11 months after surgery to repair a compound fracture in her ankle. She did not run the half, she walked it. And while she walked it, she carried a notebook filled with the prayer requests of friends and family, people she knows and some she does not. 


Since I'm not doing a half anytime soon (I've just recently started 'training' to run 5Ks - phew!), I've been using Facebook (this week) as a tool to collect the prayer requests of my friends.  Since I'm generally a pretty selfish person, this has been a big departure from my 'normal' prayer time. 


Normally, my prayers revolve around my family - my husband and children, my parents, sister and sister-in-law, brothers-in-law, nieces, nephews. 


But this week I have tried to focus on the needs of others. And I can say, with honesty, that I have looked forward to my quiet time each day and the honor of bringing the cares of friends and acquaintances to the feet of God. 


Friends, I have, and continue to be, honored to pray as you:
  • Add to your families (through adoption and biological);
  • Seek church homes in new communities; 
  • Worry over the health of your Mamas and Daddies; 
  • Seek new job opportunities; 
  • Overcome financial hardships; 
  • Work on and honor your marriages; 
  • Got to school; 
  • Raise your children;
  • For many, many other things. 


It is such an honor to step out of my comfort zone to pray for you. Thank you for giving me a focus for my quiet time. 


BJM



1 comment:

  1. Thank you for taking your time to think of others Brooke! I felt so much better after I shared what we are going through with you and felt such peace about it all!! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete